We crunched the data for the highest member-rated brews to determine 2020’s most popular beers on Tavour!
Here are the Top Ten:
10. Brouwerij 3 Fonteinen - Framboos Oogst 2018 (season 18|19) Blend No. 29 Lambic - These Belgian brewers are gods in the world of funky, fruity Sours — they dominate the style and make several of the top-rated Gueuze-style Lambics on Untappd. This one tastes like biting into a handful of ripe raspberries picked fresh off the farm, with a little earthy, barnyard funk that lingers after each sip.
9. River North Brewery - Barrel Aged Double Avarice (2020) Imperial Stout - These award-winning Denver brewers are barrel-aged dark beer specialists. BA Double Avarice is a prime example of their expertise — it shines in the boozy-cherry, silky-dark-chocolate, and roasted-espresso flavors that brim from each sip.
8. Westbrook Brewing Company - Gates of S'mordor (Booker's Bourbon Barrel Aged) (2020) Imperial Pastry Stout - The South Carolina pastry pioneers and creators of famous treats like Mexican Cake and Anniversary Pecan Cookie crafted this decadent dessert beer. This campfire-worthy treat has all the chewy, gooey, marshmallow flavor of the original, squished between melted Ghirardelli's dark chocolate and honey-kissed graham crackers. Only this time, the brewery amped it up with oaky vanilla-caramel character evoked from Booker’s Bourbon Barrels.
7. White Elm Brewing Company - Bourbon Barrel Aged Champurrado Imperial Coffee Stout - When the brewery first released it in 2019, they sold out in an hour and a half. It’s easy to understand the excitement after tasting the thick, fudgy body and Bourbon-kissed, cinnamon-spice flavors that tickle the taste buds.
6. Mikkeller Brewing - Beer Geek Vanilla Shake Barrel-Aged Bourbon Imperial Oatmeal Stout - The 2x Danish Brewery of the Year has been named one of the Most Important Breweries in Europe by Food & Wine. To create this beer, Mikkeller aged it in Bourbon Barrels for 8 months! This amped up the oak and whiskey spice notes. Roasty, dark chocolate, and silky vanilla greet the palate upfront, before fading seamlessly into smoldering espresso and caramel. A dose of lactose keeps it from succumbing to the roastiness. And, that 13.4% ABV sips down almost too smoothly.
5. Adroit Theory Brewing Company - Demons Surround Me Russian Imperial Stout - These Virginia high ABV beer masters have a dedicated beer club. The die-hard fans cause many of the brewery’s releases to sell out before Adroit Theory has even finished brewing. At 18% ABV, this brew is an absolute monster! It’s enormously thick and almost-black mahogany in color. Each mouthful coats the palate in a blowout of dark chocolate, bold molasses, and deep layers of nuttiness.
4. Dewey Beer Company - Secret Machine - Double Raspberry Double Blackberry Fruited Sour - Northeasterners lucky enough to taste beers from the Secret Machine series describe them as “straight-up raspberry jam” and “mouth-watering fruit juice.” The brewers craft this sweet-tart treat with so many real raspberries and blackberries, it’s fruitier than grandma’s homemade preserves! The addition of creamy lactose makes it so thick and smooth, you might think someone switched out your beer for a freshly blended fruit smoothie.
3. Drekker Brewing Company - Braaaaaaaains Blueberry & Raspberry Double Fruit Smoothie Sour - The brewery has built a reputation for crafting incredibly thick and luscious brews that rival Jamba Juice. They outdid themselves with this ‘double fruit’ Smoothie Sour, packing it to the brim with sweet blueberries and tangy raspberries. Then, they added generous doses of creamy lactose and smooth vanilla, so the brew flows evenly across the tongue. All the while, a delightful sprinkle of sea salt coaxes out the full jamminess of the berries.
2. Anchorage Brewing Company - Blessed (2020) Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout -Thrillist ranks Anchorage among the “Best Breweries in the Country.” To craft this highly anticipated sipper, the brewery started with 1- and 3-year-old Stouts aged in Woodford Reserve Double Oaked and Willett Bourbon Barrels. Then, they added toasted and raw coconut and Madagascar vanilla beans and blended everything in Missouri Oak Foeders. Each sip is like indulging in a fluffy slice of German chocolate cake, topped with coconut whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon! And, at 14% ABV, it will wrap you in a warm hug from start to finish!
1. Evil Twin Brewing collaboration with The Veil Brewing Co. - Luxurious Luxury Vol. 3 Fruited Gose -Paste Mag praises Evil Twin as one of the most celebrated breweries in the country. The Washington Post credits The Veil with putting Richmond, Virginia on the craft beer map. Together, they imbued this Gose with a yacht-load of rich, tropical passionfruit, tangy blackberry, luscious marshmallow, and decadent white truffle salt. If there were such a thing as a Michelin starred smoothie bar, this is what their fanciest drink would taste like. The can might as well be coated in gold leaf and delivered by limousine!
These are just a few of the many fan favorites here at Tavour. Check out what’s new on the app to find your own top ten beers!
In the past year alone, we’ve featured over 300 different Stouts on Tavour. Some were decadent, dessert-like treats, while others shined with silky complexity from aging in Bourbon barrels. As the curtain closes on 2020, we’re taking a look back at the 5 Stouts that Tavour members ranked the highest. We hope you remember them fondly:
Winter might not be the first season most people think of when they hear the term IPA. But, for hopheads, IPAs are a year ‘round indulgence. To a dedicated hop aficionado, an après ski at the bottom of the slopes is just as fitting of a place to sip a juicebomb as plopped on a cozy couch watching football. Fireside: grab an IPA. Hot tubbing: bring an IPA along for the soak. For fans of the style, there are more reasons to drink an IPA in the winter than hot cocoa. Winter-ready IPAs can be elusive, so to make your hunt easier, here are 7 Hoppy Winter Seasonals you can have sent straight to your door via Tavour’s independent craft beer delivery app:
Unless you’ve been doing your drinking under a rock, you’ve noticed that the modern craft beer movement of the past decade sparked a steep rise in brewery openings all across the country. In fact, Statista reported 8,386 breweries in the United States as of 2019, compared to just 2,670 in 2012. From tiny corner brewpubs to large campuses with warehouse-sized brewing facilities, today’s breweries come in a wide range of sizes. But, which are actually “craft?”