Quadruple Barrel Big Bad Baptist (2018)
Epic Brewing Co
A Note on This Beer
This isn’t the first time we’ve managed to snag beers from Epic’s Big Bad series of Barrel-Aged Stouts, but that doesn’t mean you’ve tried it. Because we NEVER get enough of these limited releases to go around!
Today is no different — if you want to sample 3 different versions of 2018 Baptist, you’d better act fast. Just check out what you’ll get:
2018 Big Bad Baptist:
- The first time we got this brew, it earned a staggering 4.30 rating on Tavour.
- It’s aged in Bourbon barrels and infused with locally roasted coffee and cacao nibs.
- According to Draft Mag, it tastes like “dark chocolate, with hints of sourdough.” The folks at Paste Mag are fans, too: “In terms of price point and quality, it can scarcely be beat.”
2018 Big Bad Baptista:
- Last time around, you guys rated this brew a whopping 4.33 on Tavour.
- For this version, the brewers amp up the complexity of Bourbon barrels, coffee, and cacao nibs with cinnamon and vanilla, creating a creamy, Mexican chocolate-like experience.
- Draft Mag says it tastes like “cinnamon frosting on a chocolate cake.” No arguments here!
2018 Quadruple Barrel Big Bad Baptist:
- We’ve only managed to score a tiny stash of this version, but you guys gave it a tremendous 4.33 on Tavour last time.
- This brew is all about the barrels. It’s aged in a combo of Whiskey and Rum barrels with cacao nibs, and it’s flavored with barrel-aged coffee, barrel-aged coconut, and barrel aged almond! And yes, barreling the adjuncts really does change the flavor!
- Paste Mag describes this brew as “positively fudgy,” saying “the overall effect is not unlike one of those small, liqueur filled chocolate cordials.” YUM!
We don’t have a ton of these 2018 vintage treasures, but if you’re lucky enough to score some for yourself, we highly recommend inviting your Stout lovin’ pals around for a side by side tasting. These beers have plenty of glorious similarities, but it’s the delicious differences that’ll really blow your mind.
Big Bad Baptist rated 4.30 on Tavour; 97/100 on BeerAdvocate; 4.23 on Untappd.
Big Bad Baptista rated 4.33 on Tavour; 97/100 on BeerAdvocate; 4.34 on Untappd.
Quadruple Barrel Big Bad Baptist rated 4.33 on Tavour; 97/100 on BeerAdvocate; 4.36 on Untappd.
Tavour strictly supports independent beer. Epic Brewing Co is certified independent by the Brewers Association
Add your rating on the Tavour app.
Wasn't bad but wasn't the best.
Smooth and complex profile. Delicious!
Oh SNAP! That’s a damn fine beer. Dark, thick, rich, and sweet. Undertones of chocolate.
Amazing beer but in all honesty, has too much going on. Has 3 more adjunts than big bad baptista but it’s just as good.
Sweet chocolate on the nose with an almond nuttiness throughout. Excellent beer that is dangerously smooth.
Need more of these!!!
Pretty bland for the ABV and adjuncts.