Quadruple Barrel Big Bad Baptist (2018)
Epic Brewing Co. (Utah, Colorado)
Find and rate beers like this on the Tavour app!
A Note on This Beer
This isn’t the first time we’ve managed to snag beers from Epic’s Big Bad series of Barrel-Aged Stouts, but that doesn’t mean you’ve tried it. Because we NEVER get enough of these limited releases to go around!
Today is no different — if you want to sample 3 different versions of 2018 Baptist, you’d better act fast. Just check out what you’ll get:
2018 Big Bad Baptist:
- The first time we got this brew, it earned a staggering 4.30 rating on Tavour.
- It’s aged in Bourbon barrels and infused with locally roasted coffee and cacao nibs.
- According to Draft Mag, it tastes like “dark chocolate, with hints of sourdough.” The folks at Paste Mag are fans, too: “In terms of price point and quality, it can scarcely be beat.”
2018 Big Bad Baptista:
- Last time around, you guys rated this brew a whopping 4.33 on Tavour.
- For this version, the brewers amp up the complexity of Bourbon barrels, coffee, and cacao nibs with cinnamon and vanilla, creating a creamy, Mexican chocolate-like experience.
- Draft Mag says it tastes like “cinnamon frosting on a chocolate cake.” No arguments here!
2018 Quadruple Barrel Big Bad Baptist:
- We’ve only managed to score a tiny stash of this version, but you guys gave it a tremendous 4.33 on Tavour last time.
- This brew is all about the barrels. It’s aged in a combo of Whiskey and Rum barrels with cacao nibs, and it’s flavored with barrel-aged coffee, barrel-aged coconut, and barrel aged almond! And yes, barreling the adjuncts really does change the flavor!
- Paste Mag describes this brew as “positively fudgy,” saying “the overall effect is not unlike one of those small, liqueur filled chocolate cordials.” YUM!
We don’t have a ton of these 2018 vintage treasures, but if you’re lucky enough to score some for yourself, we highly recommend inviting your Stout lovin’ pals around for a side by side tasting. These beers have plenty of glorious similarities, but it’s the delicious differences that’ll really blow your mind.
Big Bad Baptist rated 4.30 on Tavour; 97/100 on BeerAdvocate; 4.23 on Untappd.
Big Bad Baptista rated 4.33 on Tavour; 97/100 on BeerAdvocate; 4.34 on Untappd.
Quadruple Barrel Big Bad Baptist rated 4.33 on Tavour; 97/100 on BeerAdvocate; 4.36 on Untappd.
Tavour strictly supports independent beer. Epic Brewing Co is certified independent by the Brewers Association