Speciation Artisan Ales
A Note on This Beer
The draft picks for Speciation Artisan Ales’ new Rum Barrel-Aged Sour are in!
Michigan craft fans piled thirstily into the taproom on release day for Fruit Draft — not just because Speciation is one of USA Today’s Best Breweries in the Nation, but this limited lineup of fruity-tart players is also a collab with BeerAdvocate’s Best New Brewery, HOMES.
So, without further ado, here are the picks you’re gonna taste out there in this 4.34 UT-rated flavor field:
- First up in big, juicy flavor — blackberries! Brewers love these berries for their jammy quality. Speciation and HOMES use them in hefty additions to smooth out the rum n’ oak flavors and power-charge their flavorful lineup with a juicy, sweet-tart swing.
- Next up — guava! This is a hot pick among Sour officials because of its quenching, tropically sweet flavor merged with citrus-like tang. Expect the guava to play well alongside the blackberries at the front end.
- Then there’s pear, whose gentle flavor stats can be tough to pinpoint in a lot of beers. But hold the phone — Speciation and HOMES manage to coax out pear’s subtle sweetness right in the middle of each sip!
- Chosen for further complexity is ginger, bringing a healthy zing to each mouthful. As one of the naturally stronger players, the brewers take care not to let ginger overwhelm the brew’s juiciness.
- Last but not least, on the back end — a burst of lime! This citrus fruit is a favorite team member in a lot of beers, though here it serves as a tangy end note that leaves you wanting to dive back in for more of this rum punch-like quencher!
Aside from a tiny handful of spots around the Mitten State, this 8% ABV Fruit Draft isn’t playing outside of Speciation’s taproom. Only Tavour passholders can get access elsewhere!
This lineup is rated 4.34 on Untappd!
Add your rating on the Tavour app.
Expected more from this combo
One of my favorite beers from Tavour
This is fucking delicious. All sour but no vinegar. Really phenomenal.